Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blogpost #3

Students having fun at the computer



Peer Editing

After reading Paige Ellis Peer Editing I learned the proper way to do peer editing.Peer editing is working with someone your on age to help improve revise, and edit his or her writing. Edit means making suggestions, comments, and changes to writing. There are 3 steps:
1. Compliments - Making a compliment about their writing, such as, I like the details in your paragraphs.
2. Suggestions - Making a suggestion to use a compound sentence instead of so many sentences.
3. Corrections - Grammatical errors, for example, using there instead of their when writing about a person.
Peer editing can be done publicly or privately through Email. This was a refresher for me because it has been a long time since I have done peer editing.


Using Technology in Special Education


After watching the video Education for special needs opens up a whole new world for these students. Some of needs may be non verbal, physical, or cognitive limitations. One of the students was able to enjoy reading by using an iPod touch. Another student used his mouse to touch the letters to complete a cross word puzzle. Non verbal students used the computer to speak for them.
As I watched the students in the class participate I could see that technology made them feel more comfortable in being part of the group. Learning seemed to be enjoyable for them as I watched them smile. Using technology will help these students to become a part of our future workforce.
Apps for Autism
After reviewing the iPad apps, I would choose the Blackboard sight word game HD app. It has 5 game settings, sound effects, voice, speech, so it would be great for students with autism. It is a free app. I would incorporate it in the regular class with all the students. Most students could benefit from this app. It reminds me of that old phonics game.
If the children can learn to spell the sight words that are needed by the 3rd grade, they will be on the way to reading faster. This will help boast their confidence, and make them want to read more books in the future.

Social Media


After watching Social Media Counter I feel a strong urge to get into high gear with the social networks. These figures are astounding to say the least. Because I am choosing a professional career in education, the need to be active in the social network is imperative for me.
Also,being a part of students lives and being able to communicate effectively with them and their other teachers will be a challenge. Just being able to speak the language of the social media can be confusing for me sometimes. After reviewing the counter I am totally motivated to start using the social networks.
A vision for Students today
After watching the video A vision for Students today I am enlightened as to what is really on the minds of students. This video is a cry for change. Some teachers are still teaching in the 19th century. If technology is not used in the process of students educational years, how will they survive in the world when they get out of school. Technology has to be incorporated into the early learning years, so teachers should technologically literate.
Without change in the methods of educating students they will be lost early on and may not be able to catch up in their future. Also student drop out rates will sky rocket because the students will be so bored.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Cyndi

    I don't know if your done with your blog post three, but I saw a couple things that would make your post easier to read. First you should add spaces between the subjects,right now it looks as if everything is one post. Bold titles before your next subject will also help. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are your comments about the materials assigned for peer editing?

    "This video is a cry for change." It certainly is. What will you (and all of us) do about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my experience, teaching students to be technologically literate begins with the administrators. Even if the teachers want technology in the classrooms, it has to be approved by the administrators. My desire is to develop myself from a student to an educator and leverage my experience to help others become technologically literate.

      I missed the part about the peer editing in blogpost #3, so I will go back and correct this.

      Delete